When asked what inspired the Dominus series…

Here’s what I wrote over at the new House of Dionysos GR group in answer to the burning question.

“Short story… I wanted to write a saga focused on two complicated, proud men who 1) both share dominant and submissive tendencies and 2) fall in love despite the circumstances. I wanted them both to suffer and sacrifice for this love. I want them to work for it.
I know ancient Rome, so I decided to create an enemies to lovers story featuring a Roman politician/general (Gaius Fabius) and a captive barbarian turned slave (Allerix). I wanted them to struggle in a real historical setting and I found little fiction (m/m or otherwise) set during the reign of Trajan and the Dacian wars. I also chose this period of history (early 2nd century AD) because there are few contemporary historical accounts of what actually happened (so lots of room for fiction fun), except for the scandalous rumors surrounding Trajan’s ‘deathbed adoption’ of Hadrian. Of course, this juicy scene will be part of my series. It’s four books total and the first book, Dominus, serves to introduce the main cast of characters in Rome and Campania, the circumstances of Dacian prince Allerix’s capture, and the murder mystery that propels the story forward to book 2, Games of Rome. And, just to make extra work for myself, I couched the ancient saga within a modern archaeological excavation. The story is dark at times, erotic, funny, populated by great women as well as men, and touches of paranormal because the Romans believed in (and feared) the spirits of the dead.”


  2 comments for “When asked what inspired the Dominus series…

  1. A new fan
    January 30, 2015 at 3:38 am

    “1) both share dominant and submissive tendencies and ”

    I think this is the reason I just bought your book haha

    I love slavefic so much and you can’t know how happy I got when I saw it’s in the Roman times but with no gladiators in sight but I’m so weird about it, if it’s non-con kinky fucked up slavefic then I want a cruel master breaking the slave as much as possible with Stockholm syndrome up to eleven (let me show you my embarrassing kinks) but if it’s a slavefic romance I hate to read about the poor slave being broke by violence or even by crazy hot sex from his master and being no more than a sex slave so as much as I love that you have this epic 5 books plan and you’re going to make them work hard for their love, I’m afraid if I only read the first book I’m going to still want to hit the great Dominus with a shovel!

    So now I’m not sure if I want to read it right now or to wait for at least a couple more books are out so hopefully the slave is in a tiny bit more of an equal situation even as a slave. Do you think you’re still going to publish the second book this year? Do you think your schedule is going to be a book a year?

    Once again, I think you’re awesome for writing slavefic in roman times (and no gladiators \o/) I don’t get why it’s not more popular! :/

    • January 30, 2015 at 5:09 pm

      Hey! Welcome and thank you for buying the first book! I LOVE slavefic, all shapes and sizes, but I don’t care for stories where slave characters are beaten or fucked into love, so you won’t find that here. That said, some of the ‘born slaves’ in this story do realize how much worse their lives could be were it not for the fact that our Dominus owns them. This Dominus has a habit of saving people, or at least that’s his intention. He’s very protective and possessive… and arrogant and snarky and horny.

      As far as I can tell, about 75% of readers love our charismatic Dominus, Gaius Fabius, though they would like to see him knocked down a few pegs. The other 25% want to hit him with shovel… but that’ll change. 😀 He treats his slaves (pleasure and otherwise) a bit like he treats his soldiers. He demands respect and loyalty, and, in return, promises to protect them both physically and financially. The first book is set up to introduce the characters and there is very little hard-core torture in this series. There is violence, however, and much Roman historical stuff, esp. in Book 2. And no gladiator characters, though there will be an amphitheater scene or two.

      Book 2 will be out this summer – I’m shooting for June. I’ll also publish another free short story in the Dominus Fragmentum series. I anticipate one full length novel a year with one free short. I’d love to write faster but this saga requires tons of research and I’m a perfectionist. If you’re interested, do check out the free draft chapters for Book 2 after you read the first book. I’m posting a new one tomorrow!


Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: