Fragmentum 2

In addition to pubbing Games of Rome, I will be offering another free short sometime this year.

It will be “December,” though the free short will not necessarily be released in December.

It will involve the Saturnalia festival, a raucous holiday during which, according to some ancient sources, masters served their slaves and slaves were allowed to gamble, drink, and speak freely. There were also colorful Greek-style clothes, silly ‘freedom’ caps, masks, and gift-giving.

saturnalia_08

The story will take place prior to the events in the Dominus series. Another prequel.

And…

It will feature Lucius and Bryaxis. \o/

See where I’m going with this?

Sub!Luc and Dom!Bry. I’m making myself squeal.

Oh lordy, what if Gaius and Max also show up for the celebrations? Hyperventilating now…  😀

JPK ❤️❤️

7 comments for “Fragmentum 2

1. Vitzy
    March 3, 2015 at 5:04 pm

what a sweet tradition. Just out of curiousity, how close to reality is the depiction of your slaves and masters?

More Bryaxis and Lucius 😀 Hope its well before December that you get round to putting it out!

• March 3, 2015 at 5:39 pm

My depictions of Roman master/slave relationships are fairly accurate but not a complete picture given that I shy away from describing (and even including) torture, killing, and severe physical/sexual/emotional abuse.

The surviving evidence does suggest that some (fortunate) personal slaves were treated more like family/lovers/children than property. Sources also tell us that life as a personal or household slave (assuming one had a humane master) often came with a much higher standard of living than life as a poor free person in ancient Rome. And many slaves were eventually freed, although they often remained obligated to the former master’s family.

However, there will be moments in this saga when we’re forced to confront some of the harsher realities of Roman slavery for plot purposes, such as young Max’s brutal time as a slave laborer at the stone quarries in North Africa.

2. Vitzy
    March 3, 2015 at 6:02 pm

That would seem logical. I’m afraid the only insight into Roman history I have is from my brief attempt at learning Latin at school. We learnt about Quintus, Grumio and co. during AD 70 and up to and after the eruption of Mt. Vesuvius. I’d actually love to learn more, and thats partly what draws me in to your stories, it had shadows and similarities to our current civilisation and yet its so different (and not necessarily are all the differences bad) to modern day.

-Vitzy-

• March 3, 2015 at 6:09 pm

I enjoy adding in all the historical bits but it does make for SLOW writing, I’m afraid. And I’m so happy to discover that Lucius and Bryaxis have their own fan club. I receive more questions about & love for Bryaxis than any other character, so far. 😉

• Vitzy
        March 3, 2015 at 6:14 pm

…its that amazing attitude of his 😉 and Lucius, well, whats not to love 😀

3. March 4, 2015 at 3:47 pm

Ok, this post just excites me passed the point of embarrassment! I’m totally fangirling over here, which I try not to do. I mean an almost 40 yr old woman just shouldn’t be as excited about such things as I am! I should try for some decorum, but it seems to fail me right now. Knowing this is coming is amazing and torturous (because of the wait) at the same time! OMG, just too excited! Ok, I’m going to get my act together and move on now. You gave a lovely day dear.

• March 4, 2015 at 4:20 pm

I knew I wanted to write a Saturnalia short story this year, but I couldn’t figure out exactly how to feature Gaius & Allerix without spoiling the larger plot of the Dominus saga. After chatting with a couple of lovely readers, it was obvious… a prequel with Luc and Bry!!! I’m SO excited to pen this and I shall do my very best to not have you guys wait until December. 😉

Thank you, Alicia. You have a fab Wednesday! ❤️❤️