11 comments for “The Family in the Roman World

1. March 12, 2016 at 9:13 pm

well. I’m glad I don’t live in the Roman times then. But like the article says, at least women were treated better than Greek women. And I am genuinely surprised that Roman women could even be doctors. That’s taken modern society a shamefully long time to rectify! It seems that being anything other than the elder son/ father of the family kind of sucks. You might as well be a slave if you’re not going to have a say, opinion or right to basically any thing. Well I suppose a slave isn’t even a citizen. But I mean it would almost be preferable to be a slave like Simon (who is massively loved by his dominus) than the third daughter or something equally unimportant. Not that slavery is a good thing…but then nor is patriarchy.

• March 12, 2016 at 9:22 pm

Definitely not the best time to be alive, esp. for women. That said, I’m sure a lot of power was wielded ‘behind the scenes’ by some influential women (like Memmia and Plotina). But absolutely the best position to be was the top dude/elder son. I’m fascinated and horrified by the whole treatment of infants. The ‘acceptance ceremony’ of a newborn by his/her father is incredible, as well as all the superstitions surrounding birth. Of course, we’ll have to see what Gaius does when/if the babies arrive.

• March 12, 2016 at 9:23 pm

And yes β€”a thousand times yes! It was significantly better to be a cherished slave than a free born poor person in ancient Rome. Simon is very lucky in many ways, as are all the lads.

• March 12, 2016 at 9:29 pm

ha! I don’t think Alle agrees :p Or at least he’s in denial! How is the third story going? This is the flashback to Luc and Gaius’ time in Greece, right?

• March 12, 2016 at 9:43 pm

No, Alle will never believe that being Gaius’s slave is good thing. He just has to get Gaius to realize that. πŸ˜‰

OH! The third book is almost completely outlined. It’s not the prequel though (that will be book 4) – Book 3 picks up where 2 left off and it’s the BIG one – Alle’s plot for revenge, babies, Gaius flips out, then the gang goes to Dacia. More Dacian characters show up, so more of Alle’s world is revealed. I think (hope) this will be the best one yet. So much insanity happens. \o/

2. March 12, 2016 at 10:17 pm

duuuuuuuuuuuuuuude. YESS. you have just left me so many yummy teasers *cruel* Gaius flips out? At whom? Or what, rather? I hope he won’t take it out on Bryaxis -_- and I assume we get to know more about our modern day historian and his hot lover? and the skeletons??

• March 12, 2016 at 10:18 pm

also they go to Dacia? say what now?

• March 12, 2016 at 10:30 pm

It’s going to be loads of crazy fun. It’s the “fall hopelessly in love with Gaius” book. And yes β€” more murder clues and Charlie/Yves. They’ll get their own book after we wrap up these Roman boys’ epic. They have quite a story to tell. πŸ˜€

3. March 12, 2016 at 10:37 pm

I currently have a reluctant admiration for Gaius at the moment..haha.
    Oh really now? So Yves isn’t just a fling :p

• March 12, 2016 at 10:42 pm

and am I being really obtuse? What murder clues? Ohhhhh THE murder – right right sorry I thought you were still talking about the skeletons that Charlie and Stefano dug up….but you’re talking about rome heh

• March 12, 2016 at 10:46 pm

We’ll see about Yves. Lately, he’s been telling me his backstory. I think he wants to stick around, but Charlie’s a bit of a mess. Lol!