Hoia-Baciu Forest

As I continue to do gobs of research on ancient Dacia and its fascinating topography, here’s a blast from my Tumblr past. Our somewhat fictionalized version of the Hoia Baciu Forest in modern Transylvania (Romania) will be the setting for a major Gaius/Allerix scene (or perhaps scenes) in Book 3.  I’ve been waiting not so patiently for years to play in this spooky haunted forest! 😀

10 comments for “Hoia-Baciu Forest

1. February 11, 2017 at 6:59 pm

Fabulous. I like a bit of weird with my history.

• February 11, 2017 at 7:00 pm

LOL! I like a bit of history with my weird. Interestingly enough, I can’t find any reference to the forest in ancient times… yet. 😉

2. Lynne Mackness
    February 11, 2017 at 8:45 pm

Ghost Adventures went to film there – see it on YouTube

• February 11, 2017 at 8:53 pm

Oh, thank you! That sounds like silly fun.

After chatting with a generous Romanian friend, it seems this forest was outside the boundaries of Roman Dacia in the territory of another ‘barbarian’ tribe. It still might work plot wise, depending on how I craft that section. 😀

February 11, 2017 at 11:19 pm

Strange trees for sure!

• February 11, 2017 at 11:23 pm

Isn’t this bizarre? And after much map squinting and Google Earthing, I think I’ve found a way to use it as a setting for some scenes. 😀

4. Lynne Mackness
    February 12, 2017 at 8:54 am

Well, they better not get abducted by aliens! Hmm, I don’t know though……..

5. Ali
    February 12, 2017 at 4:26 pm

That is weird – I wanna go there! What do you reckon has made the trees grow distorted? Can’t wait for the next book in the series 🙂

• February 12, 2017 at 4:58 pm

Isn’t it cool, Ali? I have no flipping idea, but this place is spooky fascinating. I spent a while with various maps and Google Earth (yay for technology!) and I *think* I now know exactly how I want to use this setting. The forest wasn’t in ancient Dacia but in the territories of Dacia’s strong ‘barbarian’ neighbor.

Thank you! Draft Chapter 2 of Book 3 soon! Allerix & Gaius have a chat. 😀