Sunday snippet

Happy first Sunday of October! I plan to post Sunday snippets and random musings on this blog more regularly.  Here’s a little taste of the next chapter. Alle’s point of view. Unedited and subject to change. 😀

~~~~~

Seated on the bench beside Maximus, Alle had just swallowed the last bite of his morning meal when that crotchety, balding slave with the permanent sneer entered the common room unannounced. His twitchy eyes darted about until they settled on Allerix. He flicked a piece of papyrus towards Alle’s side of the dining table and left without saying a word. The note fluttered in the air before landing next to Bry’s folded hands. Simon scooted closer to peer over Bry’s shoulder.

“Bathe and report to my bedchamber.” Bry smirked through the last syllables. “Romantic prick, isn’t he? I assume this is for you, Dacian.”

Allerix snatched the note from Bry’s fingers. Had Gaius written these words? The sturdy strokes were aggressive, each letter practically gouged into the sheet. No fancy curls or wasted ink. No hesitation.

And no affection.

Max stole a glance and said, “You’ve managed to avoid your chores again. Off to the baths, then. I’ll escort you to Commander Fabius’s suite.”

After he’d washed thoroughly—a more rigorous bath than that quick splash at daybreak—Alle slipped his best ivory tunic over his head. He propped a polished brass plate against the wall and stared at his distorted reflection while braiding his dark hair and checking for food between his teeth. His chin was smooth enough; whiskers wouldn’t erupt again until midafternoon.

He hardly recognized himself anymore. His hair now was always washed and combed, his face always clean-shaven. He missed hiding behind his thick, noble beard. He missed the proud, brave young man he’d once been.

When Max gave permission, Allerix crossed the threshold to Gaius’s bedroom, convinced he’d spend this sunny, crisp autumn day warming the man’s bed, satisfying the man’s cock. What else was there for him to do? Exercise in the yard? Clean the horses’ stalls? Swim in the damn pool? Except for that strange, sad disaster of a day at the Guards’ camps, he hadn’t left this enormous house. Not once. He was trapped in a luxurious, spacious cage surrounded by tall walls of stone and brick.

A prisoner. A Roman’s concubine. A fucking shameful insult to his gods and his people. To his father.

“Greetings, Dominus.”

~~~~~

8 comments for “Sunday snippet

October 2, 2017 at 3:04 am

I hope Bry won’t find about Alle’s true identity and creating problems for them,,!

2. Lynne Mackness
    October 2, 2017 at 6:02 am

Why write a note? Is it significant that it wasn’t actually given to Alle? Or am I being too suspicious? By the way, I’m off to Rome tomorrow for my hols. I’m a great fan of Hadrian’s so will be visiting his villa at Tivoli along other places you mention.

• October 2, 2017 at 12:52 pm

Great question, Lynne! LOL! This chapter has more ‘letters’ intrigue. I just may be a tad obsessed with written word plot bits, but soon that will replaced by other obsessions. Ha, ha!

Fantastic! Have a fabulous time! The Maritime Theater at Hadrian’s villa has been recently reopened after a big restoration. The best gelato I’ve ever had was in the main piazza in the town of Tivoli. Well worth the side trip if you haven’t gone into the town proper. More Roman remains and the spectacular Villa d’Este. And they’re finding tons of new second century stuff in the heart of Rome these days. Give the Pantheon a kiss for me. Wishing you glorious weather and safe travels. ❤

October 3, 2017 at 8:55 pm

Seems that you’re swimming in letters, scrolls, etc, etc. why Alle’s angst? I thought because last chapter and Gauis POV about his feelings thru Alle that Alle also was feeling very happy?

• October 3, 2017 at 10:00 pm

Yes, probably too many letters. When I first wrote this, I was fascinated with how Gaius’s handwriting might look, but I’ll probably change much in this scene for the final book.

I see Allerix as still torn between his heart (and growing love for Gaius) and his desire to avenge his people. He’s a young man torn between two destinies. A discussion happens before this snippet that I think helps explain better Alle’s angst. 😀

October 3, 2017 at 8:59 pm

I forgot about something else. Tell Gauis to give Alle a better job and accommodations for crying aloud. First Alle is his great love, second he’s a prince an educated man and he keeps him shoving manure and sleeping at the slaves house?

• October 3, 2017 at 10:04 pm

LOL! Well, he does have a much nicer room than he did at the villa. No longer living in the stable house. I need to set a scene in Alle’s room at Gaius’s mansion at some point.

But he’s still hanging out with Max & the gang because he’s a (proven) security risk and needs to be watched. And Gaius can’t let anyone know Allerix is a prince, so he has to be treated like a ‘regular’ slave.